Turmeric Smoothie Bowl
Smoothie bowls are currently in a craze right now, but rightfully so. Smoothies are great and you can fit a bunch a nutrients inside a smoothie, while still having it taste sweet and fruity. But Smoothie bowls are the next level. We have all the benefits of a smoothie but get to add extra tasty, nutrient dense foods on top! And then eat it with a spoon.
This recipe for a Turmeric Smoothie Bowl is great! And for those who think turmeric is too strong of a flavor, don't worry! The fruit in this recipe really helps cover up the potency of turmeric. And for those of you who don't know much about turmeric, here's a quick description of this root.
Turmeric is a root very closely related to ginger. It is a bright orange color and has a very strong flavor (a little goes a long way). India has been using turmeric in their curries for thousands of years. Turmeric is a great anti-inflammatory, helps with digestive issues, and has antioxidant properties.
So ingredients. Another great thing about smoothie bowls is that you can add or take away anything. Don't like an ingredient? No worries, take it out and replace it with something you do like. Want extra nutrients? Perfect! Go ahead and add it in. Smoothie bowls are so versatile, and here at More or Less Vegan, we love recipes that can be made your own.
Once you have all your ingredients, the next step is so easy... Throw it all into a blender! Smoothies/Smoothie Bowls are a triple threat: delicious, versatile, and easy! Now, because it is a smoothie bowl and you want it to be a little thicker, you will need to stop your blender a few times and push down some of the fruit that has yet to be blended.
Once everything is blended and pureed, next comes toppings. You could literally put almost anything you want on top of your smoothie bowl, but here are some of our favorite toppings:
- Fresh Blueberries
- Fresh Sliced Bananas
- Hemp Seeds/Hemp Hearts
- Chia Seeds
- Fresh Sliced Strawberries
- Fresh Raspberries
- Pumpkin Seeds
- Chopped Almonds
- Fresh Kiwi
- Cocoa Nibs/Chopped Dark Chocolate
- Shredded Coconut
- Peanut Butter
... just to name a few... But in all seriousness, you can put almost anything on top your smoothie bowl. We know you'll love this recipe and welcome you to change whatever, to really make it your own.
Turmeric Smoothie Bowl
1/2 cup coconut milk (add more if not blending thoroughly)
3 frozen bananas
1/2 cup frozen mango
3/4 cup frozen blueberries
1 cup frozen strawberries
1 cup frozen peaches
1 tbsp ground turmeric
Fresh bananas (sliced)
1. Place all frozen ingredients and coconut milk in a blender. Turn blender on high speed. If not all ingredients are blending, turn blender off and push un-blended ingredients down with a spatula or wooden spoon. Turn blender back on high. If ingredients are still not being blended, after pushing them down a few times, add more coconut milk 1/4 cup at a time.
2. Once all frozen ingredients are blended, poor into a bowl (makes 2 servings).
3. Sprinkle fresh blueberries, banana slices, granola, hemp hearts, and chia seeds on top of the smoothie. Grab a spoon and enjoy!